- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal set to announce second summer signing on 5-year deal
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are set to finally confirm the £3m signing of Nigerian wonderkid Kelechi Nwakali from the Diamond Football Academy.
Nwakali has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent months after he caught the eye of our scouts at the Under-17 World Cup last year.
The 17-year-old played a vital role in helping the Super Eagles lift the trophy in Chile with Nwakali named as the tournaments best player following a string of impressive displays.
The youngsters potential caught Arsene Wenger’s attention and the Express reported at the end of January that he’d flown in to London to undergo his medical and agree personal terms.
We then had to wait for his visa application to go through but it seemed everything was finalised when Nwakali was quoted in the Mirror as saying back in March that he had agreed a five-year deal to join his boyhood club, Arsenal.
“I just came back from London, I have signed a five-year contract with Arsenal.
“So many teams were interested in me but it has been my dream at a tender age to play for Arsenal.”
Things then went a little quiet and we’ve been patiently waiting for official confirmation that Nwakali was an Arsenal player. I’m not entirely sure what the delay was but one theory is that we’ve had to wait until the player turned 18 on June 5th before being able to finalise the deal.
Either way, the Mirror report claims that we’re now set to finally unveil Nwakali as our second signing of the summer with the midfielder’s £3m move expected to be announced before the end of this week.
The youngster is a central midfielder and has been compared to Patrick Vieira due to his style of play, but he’s obviously got a long way to go before he matches what the big man achieved in the game!