- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
BBC journo update: Arsenal still hope to sign Vardy before Friday
According to BBC journalist David Ornstein, Arsenal are still hoping to secure a deal for Jamie Vardy this week despite the striker deciding he won’t make a decision over his proposed £20m move until AFTER Euro 2016.
As has been widely reported over the past few days, we triggered Vardy’s release clause last week and the Daily Mail claim that the striker has verbally agreed a three-year deal worth £120,000-a-week.
However, a proposed medical on Sunday didn’t go ahead and Vardy flew-out to France with the England squad on Monday morning having failed to give Arsene Wenger confirmation he was joining Arsenal.
It soon emerged that Leicester had made a last ditch attempt to persuade the 29-year-old to remain at the King Power after offering the striker an improved contract worth around £100,000-a-week.
There were indications that Vardy would make a final decision over whether to join Arsenal or stay with the newly-crowned Premier League champions on Tuesday.
But respected BBC journalist David Ornstein claims that Vardy has decided he wants to concentrate on representing England at the Euro’s before making any decision over his future.
However, Ornstein also says that Arsenal have not given up hope of persuading the striker to complete his move before the tournament starts on Friday as Vardy’s camp have NOT informed the club that he wants to postpone making a final decision.
The report also says Arsenal will not be pulling out of the deal and our offer will remain on the table until Vardy makes a decision, but it looks increasingly likely any proposed move will now have to wait until next month.
If this is true, I strongly feel we should pull out of the deal. If Vardy isn’t sure by now, if he isn’t jumping at this opportunity, then he’s not the right player for Arsenal.
Sure, he scored 24 goals to fire Leicester to the title last season, but that’s been the only decent season of his career and he was playing in a system that was set-up perfectly to suit his strengths. That won’t be the case at Arsenal as he play an entirely different style of football to Leicester and Vardy won’t have as much room to utilise his pace.
I’ve said all along I’m not convinced by this move so I’m not bothered either way if he signs or not. Now that he seems to be messing us about, we should withdraw our offer and move on to other targets.
Jamie Vardy certainly isn’t worth the wait….