Wenger confirms double boost but attacker ruled out of Burnley game

By on January 29, 2016

Danny Welbeck

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Francis Coquelin and Tomas Rosicky are back to face Burnley tomorrow but the game comes too soon for Danny Welbeck.

Coquelin has been out for over nine weeks after suffering a knee injury during our loss to West Brom back in November but the Frenchman returned to training ahead of schedule two weeks ago and the boss says he’s now available for selection this weekend.

In a double boost, Rosicky is also back in contention after finally overcoming a knee injury that’s plagued him since he sustained the problem while on international duty way back in June 2015.

The Czech star returned to training earlier this month and got 45 minutes under his belt with a run-out for the under-21′s last week, and Wenger confirmed the midfielder is now fit to return to the squad against Burnley on Saturday afternoon.

However, the FA Cup clash will come too soon for Welbeck. The attacker hasn’t featured since the end of April 2015 due to a long-standing knee injury and while he did resume full training earlier this week, Wenger says he still needs more time before making his first team return.

Danny is expected to get another full weeks training under his belt before turning out for the under-21′s against Brighton next weekend. If all goes smoothly, he’ll then be integrated back in to the first team set-up.

Here is what Wenger told reporters today:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>