- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal hope to solve striker problem with €30m January swoop
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are hoping to solve their striking problems with a €30m swoop for Marseille hitman Michy Batshuayi.
Fans were left frustrated after Arsene Wenger failed to bring in another striker during the summer transfer window despite the club having close to £100m available in the bank for new signings.
Several house-hold names were linked with a move to the Emirates during the summer months with Karim Benzema and Edinson Cavani widely reported to be our prime targets.
The good news is that it looks like Arsene is planning to try again to sign a striker when the window reopens in January. However, the bad news is he appears to have ditched his plans to sign an established name in favour of a relatively unproven youngster.
The Mirror are citing a report from the Daily Star that claims Arsenal are plotting a move for Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi this winter.
The Belgian international only joined the Ligue 1 outfit in the summer of 2014 after making his name at Standard Liege and he’s scored 12 goals in his first 31 games in France.
Batshuayi is highly rated and he’s been linked with a number of Premier League clubs in recent months, and the newspaper suggests he’d cost in the region of €30m – which equates to £22m.
The 21-year-old is certainly a talent but is he the striker we need to make us genuine title challengers? Not in my opinion. I’d personally rather see us save the money for another defensive midfielder and give Akpom a chance up front.
Thankfully, I think these reports linking us with Batshuayi are probably nothing more than idle paper talk….let’s hope the boss has more ambitious targets in January…