- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal In Talks Over €12m Defender Deal – Reports
According to Marca, Arsenal are in talks to sign Napoli full-back Faouzi Ghoulam as a replacement for Nacho Monreal – who is likely to join Athletic Bilbao in the summer.
Monreal cemented himself as Arsene Wenger’s first choice left-back during the second half of last season and was one of our most consistent performers as he kept Kieran Gibbs out the side.
However, with just one year remaining on his contract, there have been rumours he could head back to Spain this summer and Marca claim that the 29-year-old is expected to join Athletic Bilbao over the coming weeks.
That leaves Wenger in need of a suitable replacement and the Spanish daily newspaper believes we’re in deep negotiations with Napoli over a €12m deal for Faouzi Ghoulam.
The Algerian international only moved to Naples last summer after making his name in France with Saint-Etienne and enjoyed a hugely impressive debut campaign in Italy.
The papers have linked us with a move for the 24-year-old for weeks now but according to Marca, talks are well underway and we could wrap-up a deal worth €12m – which equates to around £8.5m.
I would personally be surprised if Monreal left this summer but the rumours just wont go away so if he does go back to his homeland, it appears Ghoulam is the man Arsene wants to bring in.
It would be an interesting tussle between him and Gibbsy for the left-back spot next season but depth is vital if we want to mount a serious title challenge so I’m glad to hear the boss is looking to sign a high quality replacement if Monreal does leave.
Here is a screenshot of the Marca story: