- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Set To Secure Second Signing After Formal Talks – Reports
According to the Metro, Arsenal are hoping to wrap-up their second signing of the summer ‘within days’ after holding formal talks over a deal for Napoli defender Faouzi Ghoulam.
The Algerian international has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in recent weeks amid rumours Nacho Monreal is set to head back to Spain this summer.
As I reported last week, Spanish outlet Marca ran a story on Friday suggesting that Monreal is expected to join Athletico Madrid and Arsene Wenger had supposedly identified Ghoulam as his replacement.
It appears the boss may now have stepped-up his interest as the Metro are citing reports coming from Le10 Sport who claim that we’ve been holding formal talks with the left-backs representatives and hope to conclude a deal over the ‘coming days’.
I’ve said all along that I’d be shocked if Monreal does leave this summer as he was excellent during the second half of last season and made the left-back spot his own after keeping Gibbsy out the team.
But he has just one year left on his contract and with no extension signed as yet, I suppose it’s not outside the realms of possibility that he’ll head back to Spain leaving us with a void to fill in defence.
The papers seem to think that Ghoulam is the man Arsene wants and it would be something of a coup if we do manage to secure his signature as he’s also been linked with the likes of Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid this summer.
He only joined Napoli last summer and enjoyed an excellent debut season in Serie A but it looks like he could be on the move already with a switch to the Emirates seemingly on the cards.
Marca claimed last week that we were hoping to do a deal at around €12m – which sounds like a great price for a 24-year-old coming into his peak years – but we’ll have to see how things develop over the coming days and weeks.