- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal Suffer Blow In Pursuit Of £32m Hitman
Arsenal have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Jackson Martinez after the £32m-rated striker revealed he’s happy to stay at Porto this summer.
The Colombian striker has been strongly linked with a move in recent months after admitting earlier in the summer that he’d be keen on joining one of Europe’s ‘big’ clubs.
With Arsene Wenger on the look out for another striker Martinez was linked with a move to the Emirates and there were reports last month that the boss was giving serious consideration to triggering the 27-year-old’s £32m buy-out clause.
However, Martinez has now played down suggestions he wants to leave Portugal and insists he plans to see out the remaining two years of his contract.
“It’s okay to talk about my possible start, I hear the same thing every month.I can concentrate on my work and my club with which I have two year contract,”
“If I’m going to stay here? Yes, for now yes.I do not think about something else, because there is nothing. I never said I was leaving. The club say what it has to say if an offer comes to me. But what I think least about, is to prepare my departure. I’m glad to be at FC Porto and I hope to stay until the end of my contract,” [source: LE10 Sport]
Despite the arrival of Alexis Sanchez, most Arsenal fans feel we need to bring in another out-and-out striker this summer and with 60 goals in 91 games for Porto, Martinez would certainly have added some real firepower to our attack.
It appears he’s content where he is for now but as we all know, things can change very quickly in football and I’m sure if a bid was tabled by a club like Arsenal he’d be keen to explore it, so we shouldn’t give up all hope that a move could still happen.