- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal Blow As £27m-Rated ‘No.1 Target’ Rejects Move – Reports
Arsenal have been dealt a transfer blow with widespread reports claiming that Morgan Schneiderlin has rejected a move to the Emirates in favour of linking up with former boss Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham.
Schneiderlin has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal this summer as Arsene Wenger looks to bring in a defensive midfielder to replace Mikel Arteta next season.
Reports last week suggested the boss had made the French international his No.1 target after failing to agree a deal for Sami Khedira, and we had supposedly put forward a lucrative contract offer to try and lure the Southampton ace away from St Mary’s.
However, the Telegraph are one of several outlets who are claiming Schneiderlin has turned his back on a switch to the Emirates as he would rather link up with former boss Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs.
Goal.com’s chief correspondent Wayne Veysey has confirmed the news, saying the midfielder turned down Arsenal as he wanted guaranteed first team football.
Morgan Schneiderlin has turned down a move to Arsenal. Wants a guaranteed starting role.
— Wayne Veysey (@wayneveysey) July 28, 2014
It says a lot about a player if he doesn’t have the confidence in his own ability to earn a first team spot rather than being ‘guaranteed’ one, so perhaps we’ve dodged a bullet here.
There was also going to be a problem agreeing a fee with Southampton. Reports claim the South Coast club are demanding £27m for Schneiderlin and there’s no chance Arsene would pay that kind of price.
It will be interesting to see whether Spurs can now get a deal done, with the newspapers suggesting they are due to open talks with the midfielders agent and Southampton today, but it looks like we’ll have to move on to other targets now.
William Carvalho has emerged as a possibility, and there are still rumours suggesting we’ll have another go for Khedira, so we’ll have to see how things develop….