- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Wenger Linked With €44m January Spending Spree
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is eyeing a €44m (£37m) double move for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema and Man City defender Micah Richards, according to reports.
Despite the fact we sit top of both the Premier League and our Champions League group, it’s understood the boss wants to sign two new players when the transfer window opens in January with a defender and striker his priority.
A goal-scorer was on the agenda in the summer but we failed to land the likes of Gonzalo Higuain, Luis Suarez, Karim Benzema and Demba Ba leaving us with just Olivier Giroud to choose from up front during the first few months of the season.
The Frenchman has done exceptionally well but there’s no doubt he needs someone to lighten the load and the Daily Star claim Wenger will renew his interest in Benzema this winter.
The 26-year-old has struggled this season and has been targetted for abuse by his own fans after some below-par displays. Madrid are believed to be willing to cash-in for around €32m (£27m) and Arsene is ready to try his luck at luring him to the Emirates.
Benzema has just 18 months left to run on his contract at the Bernabeu and doesn’t look like he’ll sign a new deal any time soon if his troubles in Spain continue, so a move to Arsenal could be on the cards if we can strike a deal with Madrid.
Our defence has been pretty solid this season but more depth may be needed during the second half of the campaign while the future of Bacary Sagna is also still unresolved.
The report suggests that Wenger wants to sign City’s Micah Richards as a potential replacement for the Frenchman if he hasn’t signed an extension by January. Richards is capable of playing at both right-back and centre-back, while he’s also a boyhood Gunner, so would be an excellent addition to the squad.
He too has just 18 months left on his contract and is struggling to hold down a first team berth with Manuel Pellegrini opting for Pablo Zabaleta in his staring eleven more often that not, so he could be open to a switch to the Emirates.
I’d be delighted if we could pull this double swoop off as I think we’d have a squad full of depth that would be capable of winning the league this season, but we’ll have to see if either of them come off.
Personally, I can’t see City selling Richards to a title rival mid-season but Benzema could be on if Madrid can find a replacement.
Would you want to sign Richards and Benzema?