- Wenger Gives Fitness Update On Sagna, Podolski & Walcott Ahead Of City ClashPosted 4 hours ago
- TWEETS: Rambo, Ozil & Podolski React To The Napoli Defeat On TwitterPosted 1 day ago
- RATINGS: My Ratings From Arsenal’s 2-0 Loss To NapoliPosted 1 day ago
- The 5 Possible Opponents For Arsenal In The Last 16 DrawPosted 2 days ago
- PREVIEW: Arsenal vs Napoli – Ozil Rested? Preferred XI & PredictionPosted 2 days ago
- TEAMS: Napoli vs Arsenal: Rosicky StartsPosted 2 days ago
- REPORT: Sanabria ‘Agrees Terms Over Move’ After Deciding To Quit BarcelonaPosted 2 days ago
- My Preferred Arsenal Starting XI To Face NapoliPosted 3 days ago
- Arsenal Confirm Three Fixture Changes For TV CoveragePosted 3 days ago
- Revealed: Patrick Vieira’s Arsenal Dream XI – Agree With His Team?Posted 3 days ago
Arsenal Boosted In Luis Suarez Pursuit As New Details Emerge
We’ve been boosted in our pursuit of Luis Suarez after it’s emerged that the striker is furious with Liverpool for breaking a verbal agreement allowing him to leave to play in the Champions League this summer and he’s ready to force his move to the Emirates before the transfer window closes.
The Mirror claim Suarez met with boss Brendan Rodgers and MD Ian Ayre back in June where he told the club he wanted to leave this summer. It’s alleged they verbally agreed to sell to any club who has qualified for the Champions League – including Arsenal – but the only team they’d refuse to sell to was Manchester United.
The Uruguayan is believed to have been left stunned when Liverpool then rejected Arsenal’s £40,000,001 offer almost two weeks ago, and the newspaper claims he’s now so angry and frustrated that he’s ready to force his way out of Anfield in order to move to north London.
It’s also understood that, despite reports earlier in the week suggesting otherwise, he’s not ruled out taking legal action against the club if they continue to block his exit because his advisers are adamant the striker should be allowed to leave for Arsenal.
This would possibly explain the impasse and why Arsenal were so confident we’d sign him for just over £40m. Suarez’s advisers would no doubt have briefed Arsenal on this ‘verbal agreement’ and suggested we bid £40,000,001 to activate the ‘clause’ that meant Liverpool had to inform them of any bid over £40m. With Liverpool being forced to tell Suarez’s camp of a serious bid from a team qualified for the Champions League, Suarez could then pursue the move due to the verbal agreement they made in June.
However, it seems as though Liverpool are refusing to hold up their end of the bargain and decided they didn’t want to sell to Arsenal, who they no doubt see as their biggest competition for fourth place next season.
So where does this leave us then? Well if this report is accurate, it tells us Suarez is angry and wants to leave Liverpool, despite Ian Ayre and Brendan Rodgers telling us that he’s ‘happy and understands the clubs position’, but more importantly it also tells us Suarez is prepared to force his way out.
He’s got previous for doing this. He took his case to a Dutch tribunal to force a move from Groningen to Ajax in 2007 and he then went on strike to force a move to Liverpool in 2011, so there’s no reason why he won’t do the same to force his move to Arsenal – especially if Liverpool have broken promises to him.
Of course verbal agreements mean very little if the case went to a Premier League hearing, but the fact Suarez is furious with the club will almost surely mean they’ve got to sell and right now, we’re the only interested party.
No matter how talented he is, no club wants to keep hold of an unhappy player, especially when another club is willing to pay in excess of £40m for him. So I still expect Suarez will be sold, I just hope it’s to us and we don’t get gazumped by Madrid.
Do you think Suarez will end up joining Arsenal? Or will Madrid make a late move?