Quantcast

Offer made: Arsenal could land winger in £44m deal after seeing opening bid rejected

By on May 17, 2018

According to reports in Italy via TeamTalk, Arsenal have been told to pay closer to £44m to sign Cengiz Under this summer after seeing our opening £26m knocked back by AS Roma.

Arsenal chiefs are pushing ahead with our summer transfer business despite not announcing Arsene Wenger’s replacement yet as the Mikel Arteta rumours continue to grow.

Sorting our vulnerable defence is believed to be a priority but we also need to add some width to the squad as it’s been lacking since we sold Theo Walcott and Alexis Sanchez in January.

It looks like head of recruitment Sven Mislintat has identified a potential target as Tuttomercato, via TeamTalk, are reporting that Arsenal have made an opening £26m bid for Cengiz Under.

The 20-year-old only joined Roma in a £10m move from Basaksehir last summer but after a slow start to life in Italy he impressed during the second half of the season having scored 8 goals since February.

The right winger has also scored 4 times in his 8 caps for the senior Turkish national team so far and that form has seemingly caught the attention of Arsenal scouts.

However, we’ll have to up our initial bid as the Italian publication says Roma have rejected our £26m offer and made it clear they’ll only sell if £44m is put on the table.

READ: Arsenal to hold talks with Henry about manager’s job

That would be a huge profit on a player that cost a quarter of that price just 12 months ago and has only really started to show his form over the last four months so I’m not convinced Arsenal will bite.

There are reports that our transfer budget is only around £50m so I personally don’t see us splashing the vast majority of it on Under when we need to also sign a keeper, central midfielder and at least one centre-back.

Loading...