- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
Arsenal star speaks out amid reports he’s made U-turn over £250k contract
Mesut Ozil has spoken out on his future amid reports he’s made a u-turn and will sign a new contract with Arsenal worth around £250,000-a-week.
Ozil has just 15 months left on his current deal and his future has been in serious doubt in recent months with the club struggling to agree terms over an extension.
Recent reports have suggested that Arsenal were resigned to losing Ozil with Bayern Munich understood to be keen to lure the playmaker back to Germany this summer.
However, it seems the player may have made a u-turn as the Daily Mail claim that Arsenal are now increasingly confident of finally agreeing terms with the 28-year-old following fresh talks with his representatives.
The newspaper says that Ozil – who recently splashed out on a new house in London – is now expected to sign a new deal worth in the region of £250,000-a-week over the coming weeks.
However, Ozil has been speaking to German newspaper Bild and while he confirmed that talks have been held with Arsenal over a new deal, he insists his future is still undecided.
The attacker says he’s concentrating on football right now but interestingly he revealed that his decision whether to stay at Arsenal isn’t linked with Arsene Wenger’s future.
Ozil is quoted by the Mirror as telling Bild:
“Everything is open. We had talks with Arsenal. Right now I concentrate on the current season,”
“Arsene Wenger was one of the main reasons I joined Arsenal. But I know that sometimes things go very fast in football and that you can never plan something.
“This is why it would be wrong to say that my future depends on my coach.”
“You are never satisfied as a sportsman. You need the motivation.
“I want to win the Champions League one day, preferably with Arsenal. I have one more year on my contract here.”
A growing number of fans are calling for Wenger to leave this summer and it was initially suggested that Ozil was more likely to follow the Frenchman out the door if he choose to end his 21-year reign in north London.
However, the attacker has now clarified things and it seem Ozil was keen to make it clear that Wenger’s future has no bearing on his decision – which I think it a hint he’s keen to stay at the club.
My gut feeling says that Ozil will end up signing a new deal but Alexis Sanchez will be sold with the Chilean looking increasingly unlikely to sign a new contract.