- [Photos] Images of Arsenal’s 2017/18 home/away kits leaked online
- Arsenal dealt fresh injury blow, star ruled out for 3 weeks
- Devastating blow: Arsenal star ruled out for the rest of the season
- Arsenal get some excellent injury news ahead of Liverpool trip
- Arsenal suffer fresh injury concern, attacker nursing back problem
- Date & time confirmed for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash with Lincoln
- [Photo] Arsenal star confirms double injury blow after Sutton clash
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate Sutton win & congratulate Walcott
- [Player Ratings] Sutton 0-2 Arsenal: Perez shines, Iwobi woeful
- Video: Sutton 0-2 Arsenal: Walcott books quarter final spot
Arsenal star confirms he’s ‘on the verge’ of signing new contract
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has confirmed that he’s on the verge of reaching an agreement with the club over a new contract extension.
Giroud is one of several players who has entered the final 18 months of his current contract and while the focus has been on Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil, the Frenchman has been quietly conducting his own negotiations over a new deal.
Some corners of the media have suggested in recent months that Giroud could be on the way out of the club this summer after falling behind Sanchez in Arsene Wenger’s striker pecking order.
However, having forced his way back in to the first team fold in recent weeks, Giroud has now revealed that he’s close to penning a new deal and committing his future to the Emirates.
The 30-year-old is quoted as saying to French TV by the Mirror.
“We’re on the verge of reaching an agreement for an extension. It’s also a sign of confidence and I want to continue my adventure here in this Arsenal family, and I feel very good here.
“When I spoke with the manager, he always kept telling me that I’m an important player. I know what I’m capable of and it’s just a case of being patient, working hard in training and waiting for your hour to come.”
Giroud is certainly a player that divides fan opinion but for me he’s a hugely underappreciated member of the squad and I’ll be glad to see him sign a new deal with the club.
That’s not to say I think he’s good enough to be our first choice striker as I think it’s clear that Arsenal are a better team with Alexis Sanchez up front but Giroud is the perfect ‘plan B’ to have available off the bench.
He might lack pace and movement up front but he works hard, has a good attitude and his goal-scoring ratio is superb. For those who care, he’s scored 91 goals and provided 39 assists in 206 games, so I’ll be pleased if/when he pens his new deal.
Then he can pass the pen to Mesut and Alexis….