- Arsenal transfer news: £25m bid submitted for international star
- [Photos] Arsenal’s double boost as duo train ahead of Liverpool
- It’s A Summer Of Rebuilding If Sanchez And Wenger Leave
- [Photos & Videos] Ozil, Welbz & more star as Arsenal boys go bowling
- Arsenal handed injury boost as key man returns ahead of Liverpool
- 49-year old confirms to friends he’s replacing Wenger as Arsenal boss
- 5 Arsenal fixtures rescheduled after being chosen for live TV
- Arsenal boost: Liverpool star ruled out of crucial showdown
- Respected journo: 27-goal hitman could join Arsenal in £50m deal
- Cazorla replacement? Arsenal linked with a move for French midfielder
Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Santi Cazorla is a doubt to face Middlesbrough on Saturday afternoon after picking up a knock in midweek.
Cazorla once again started in midfield during our Champions League clash with Ludogorets on Wednesday night but was substituted early in the second half during the 6-0 win after taking a kick to his achilles.
Wenger admitted after the game he decided to take the 31-year-old off after seeing him limping – which was understandable given Cazorla has suffered from chronic achilles problems over the past 18 months.
Speaking at his pre-match press conference this morning ahead of tomorrow’s Premier League clash with Middlesbrough, Arsene confirmed that Cazorla will face a late fitness check to see if he’ll be available to play.
I usually wouldn’t want us to take any risks with the Spaniard but the injury has come at a bad time as Granit Xhaka starts his three game ban following his sending off against Swansea last week.
Aaron Ramsey is still not fit enough to return from a troublesome hamstring injury so we’d be without three of our best central midfielders if Cazorla was ruled out tomorrow.
Francis Coquelin is certain to start but if Santi fails his late test, then we may have to deploy Elneny alongside the Frenchman. I’m a big fan of Elneny’s but would be concerned that our midfield would lack a ball-player if he was to start with Coquelin.
So let’s hope Cazorla is passed fit as he’s a key player in the team as we look to extend our winning streak to eight games in all competitions.
At Colney. Wenger: "The only uncertainty I have is Santi Cazorla who got a kick. Assessed today. Xhaka suspended."
— James Olley (@JamesOlley) October 21, 2016
Wenger says Cazorla faces test today to see if he can play tomorrow; nobody coming back. Giroud could be involved Tuesday.
— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) October 21, 2016