- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Arsenal star ruled out for up to two months, Wenger to make CB bid
According to the BBC, Arsenal are ready to formalise their interest in Shkodran Mustafi after Gabriel was ruled out for up to two months with his ankle injury.
Gabriel picked up the problem during the final stages of Sunday’s friendly win over Manchester City with the defender collapsing on the floor after catching his studs in the turf while challenging for a loose ball.
The 25-year-old required five minutes of treatment and was in tears as he was stretchered from the field before being spotted leaving the stadium on crutches.
Arsene confirmed after the game that Gabriel had suffered suspected ankle ligament damage but refused to speculate over how long the player would be out for until he’d undergone further assessment.
It appears the scan results are in as the BBC claim that Gabriel has been ruled out for between six to eight weeks meaning he won’t be back until the end of September at the earliest.
I initially expected him to be out for several months so in a way this is good news, however, Gabriel got our hopes up that the injury wasn’t serious at all after posting a message on his Instagram account earlier saying it wasn’t ‘a big problem’.
Up to two months is still ‘a big problem’, particularly with Per Mertesacker out until 2017 and Laurent Koscielny only just back in pre-season training following his extended holiday.
With Gabriel and Mertesacker out for the foreseable future, the BBC claim that Wenger will now step-up his interest in Valencia defender Mustafi with a bid expected to be submitted any time now.
The boss seemingly wants a new centre-back on board by the end of the week but even if we manage to sign Mustafi on Friday, I don’t see how we’re meant to just throw him straight in to action against Liverpool with just one or two days training with his new team mates.
We should have had a new defender in the door long ago so once again we’re going to be punished for not getting our business done quick enough.