- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Arsenal eye cut-price £16m deal as club agree to sell playmaker
According to reports in Germany, Arsenal have joined the chase for Mario Gotze after Carlo Ancelotti agreed to let the playmaker leave Bayern Munich this summer.
Gotze has fallen badly out-of-favour at Bayern this season with the 23-year-old only starting in ‘easy’ Bundesliga games and he’s played just six minutes of Champions League football in the knockout stages.
Pep Guardiola is clearly not a big fan of the player but Gotze’s chances of resurrecting his career at the Allianz Arena next season after the Spaniard leaves for Manchester City look slim.
Munich-based newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung is reporting that in-coming boss Ancelotti has already phoned the German international and informed him he isn’t in his plans so he’s free to find a new club this summer.
The report names Arsenal as one of the clubs who have expressed their interest in signing Gotze this summer but we’ll have to battle it out with the likes of Liverpool, Juventus and former club Borussia Dortmund.
With just one year remaining on his contract, Gotze is going to be available at a cut-down price with Süddeutsche Zeitung suggesting that Bayern will sell for just €20m – which is just under £16m.
That is an absolute bargain for a player like Gotze and if this report is accurate, then I suspect there will be a lot more top clubs joining the chase for his signature this summer.
Liverpool appear to be pushing hard with Jurgen Klopp obviously knowing the player well from their time together at Dortmund so we’ll face stiff competition from the Merseysiders if Gotze wants to come to England.
However, our trump card could be the ability to offer Champions League football. The problem is Liverpool will also qualify for the Champions League if they win the Europa League final against Sevilla next week.
For me, Gotze would be a sensational addition and I think he’d fit in perfectly with our style of play. I suppose he might be a little too similar to what we have already in the squad but I don’t think you can pass up the opportunity to sign a player like him for just £16m.
Tomas Rosicky is off next month while the likes of Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain could leave this summer so we need attacking reinforcements and I’d love to see us go all-out to bring Gotze to the Emirates.