- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
Arsenal boss reveals concern over Alexis Sanchez’s fitness
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has admitted he’s concerned about how this summer’s Copa America will impact on the fitness of Alexis Sanchez next season.
Sanchez endured a difficult start to this season after taking several weeks to get back up to full fitness following a grueling summer which saw him help Chile lift the Copa America on home soil.
The attacker barely got a couple of weeks rest after the tournament before returning to work with Arsenal and it certainly took him some time to recovery properly, and some feel this even played a role in Alexis picking up niggling injuries throughout the season.
With yet another Copa America tournament scheduled for this summer, Wenger is understandably concerned about how it will affect Sanchez’s form and fitness with Arsenal next season.
He told Arsenal.com:
on if he can believe there’s another Copa America…
No. I think last year was the century, so they made a special one [with special rules].
on if Copa America will have impact on Alexis…
It had an impact on him this season I think. Of course Chile won it as well, so after some big achievement like that you always have a bit of decompression. I think he suffered physically this season from that.
I was pleased for Sanchez last summer after winning the Copa America with his nation on home soil. However, this time around I hope Chile don’t even get out the group stages.
No offence Alexis, but we need you fully-fit and firing for Arsenal and can’t risk you being fatigued again next year.