- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
- International star responds to Arsenal move reports
- [Photos] Arsenal star trains despite ligament injury fears
Wenger eyes move for £30m+ striker as part of triple summer swoop
According to the Telegraph, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has made Alvaro Morata his prime striker target as he looks to bring in three new faces this summer.
Morata is a name many of you should be familiar with as he was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal when he left Real Madrid two years ago having failed to establish himself at the Bernabeu.
We eventually missed out as the Spanish international ended up joining Juventus where he’s scored a modest 25 goals in 87 appearances over the past two seasons. However, the Telegraph claim that we’re now ready to renew our interest after learning of Morata’s potential availability this summer.
The newspaper states that Real Madrid are ready to exercise their £23m buy-back clause but will immediately look to sell Morata on for a fee in excess of £30m in order to turn a quick profit.
Juve are understood to be keen to keep hold of the striker but the Telegraph suggest that Wenger is determined to land a new front man this summer and feels Morata would be a perfect fit up front for Arsenal.
In order to make room for the 23-year-old, it’s believed that Arsene is ready to listen to offers for Theo Walcott – who’s endured another frustrating campaign that’s seen him fall down the pecking order.
Morata is certainly talented but I have my doubts as to whether he’s exactly what we need right now. A return of 25 goals in 87 games for Juventus is hardly setting the world alight and I think we need a deadly world class striker to really take us to the next level.
However, it’s obviously down to Wenger and it looks like he’s keen on bringing the former Madrid man to North London and the Telegraph claim that the boss is also eyeing moves for Borussia Monchengladbach’s Granit Xhaka and Roma defender Kostas Manolas as part of a triple swoop this summer.
Xhaka is a powerful defensive midfielder who’d add depth to our options in the middle of the park with Arteta, Rosicky and Flamini all set to leave when their contracts expires in June.
Manolas is another familiar name as we were linked with him when he left Olympikos two seasons ago and it appears Arsene is set to renew his interest after watching the Greek centre-back excel during his time with Roma.