- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
€45m midfielder drops huge Arsenal move hint
William Carvalho has fuelled talk of a possible move to the Emirates after telling reporters Arsenal are his pick of the Premier League clubs.
The Portuguese international has long been linked with a move to England and Arsenal were among the clubs who were reportedly close to making a bid in the summer.
Speculation in the Express newspaper last month claimed Arsene Wenger was still keeping a close eye on the midfielder ahead of a possible swoop when the window reopens in January.
It appears the 23-year-old could be open to a move to North London as he’s now been quoted by ESPN as saying that Arsenal are his favourite Premier League team, thanks to a certain Thierry Henry.
“I am where I want to be right now, which is Sporting, but if I ever do leave then it’s a sign that my work here was well done, I dream of winning the Primeira Liga here.
“I prefer not to say too much, but there is a club with which I’ve always been fond of: Arsenal. Because of Thierry Henry, a player with whom I have always enjoyed watching.
“Maybe this is why I look with so much affection to the Premier League.” Carvalho is quoted as saying by ESPN
Carvalho does say that he’s happy at Sporting Lisbon but I think it’s fair to say he’d be open to a move if we came calling. I don’t think he could resist the opportunity to come here.
Most Arsenal fans were desperate for us to sign a defensive midfielder during the summer and Carvalho would no doubt have been a popular addition.
He’s a powerful holding player and would only develop further under the tutelage of Arsene Wenger if he was to come to Arsenal.
I’d personally love to see him come but ESPN say his buy-out clause it set at €45m – which equates to £33m – so unless Sporting lower that asking price I’m not convinced Arsene will pay that much.
Let’s see how this go….