- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
Arsenal fail with bid for €44m-rated Striker – Reports
The speculation is intensifying as we enter the final stages of the transfer window and today the Daily Star claim Arsenal have seen a bid rejected for Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi.
Arsene Wenger has reiterated that he’s active in the market during the final 48 hours of the window and a new top class striker is widely expected to be a priority for the Frenchman.
All the talk in recent weeks has centered around our pursuit of Karim Benzema but with that deal now looking increasingly unlikely, it seems the boss has now switched his attention to other targets.
According to the Daily Star, we’ve seen an unspecified bid rejected by Inter Milan for striker Mauro Icardi – who’s rated at around €44m (£32m) by the Serie A club.
The newspaper quotes Emanuele Giulianelli as their source, with the Italian journalist tweeting:
“What has gone on behind the scenes after Benzema deal went off: Arsenal showed interest in Mauro Icardi but Inter refused to sell him.
“Wenger meeting with his team this evening to discuss how Arsenal are going to go about the last few days of the transfer window.
“Of course I meant Wenger and his staff. Arsene will have the final word on the possible arrivals.”
Icardi was hotly tipped to leave the San Siro earlier in the summer but appeared to end doubts over his future after signing a new four-year deal back in June.
However, if these reports are accurate then Arsenal have made a cheeky attempt to lure him away this summer but it appears Inter have made it clear the striker won’t be sold.
So it looks like Wenger is going to have to move on to other targets if he wants to sign a new striker before the transfer window closes on Tuesday evening.
I think the next 48 hours could shape our season as without a top class striker coming in, I fail to see us mountain a serious title challenge. We’ll be competitive, but it’s already been made clear this season that we lack a finisher up front who can make the difference.
Will Arsene deliver? We’ll have to wait and see….