- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Arsenal Linked With £40m Striker Bid, But Man Utd Also Keen
According to reports, Arsenal are considering a £40m move for Porto hot-shot Jackson Martinez this summer.
The Colombian continued his excellent form this season with a goal during Porto’s shock 3-1 victory over Bayern Munich in the Champions League on Wednesday night.
It was his 26th goal in just 31 appearances this season, and he’s no one-season wonder as he’s bagged 86 goals in just 122 games since moving to Portugal three years ago.
This deadly form in front of goal has attracted interest from several top clubs throughout Europe and Arsenal have long been linked with a move for the striker.
The Metro are now reporting that Arsene Wenger is keen to strengthen his options up front and is ready to renew his interest in Martinez after the player confirmed he’ll look to leave Porto this summer.
He said after the Bayern game:
‘I have made it clear that my departure to a new club will surely happen next summer.
‘Right now, I only focus on doing my job with Porto, but I’m ready to take the leap in the next window.’ Martinez is quoted as saying by the Metro
However, the 28-year-old won’t come cheap as the newspaper suggests it will take as much as £40m to land him. Plus, we’ll apparently face competition from Manchester United as Louis van Gaal is also keen on the hitman.
I do think we need to bring in another top class forward this summer to really have a squad deep enough to challenge for the top honours and Martinez would be an exciting addition.
But I’m not sure I can see Arsene paying almost £40m for a 28-year-old with no experience in any of the top European leagues. £25m tops, otherwise I’ll think we’ll move on to other targets such as Pablo Dybala.