- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Arsenal Set To Hijack Tottenham’s £5m Deal For Bundesliga Defender
According to reports, Arsenal are set to hijack Tottenham’s £5m deal for Cologne centre-back Kevin Wimmer.
The 22-year-old joined Cologne from Austrian outfit Linz in 2012 and has been enjoying the best form of his career this season.
It looked like the defender was set for a move to White Hart Lane after Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino reportedly made a £5m bid for his signature.
However, the Daily Star claim that Arsene Wenger has had the player closely watched this year and is ready to hijack Tottenham’s deal.
The boss is believed to be keen to further strengthen his options at the back this summer, despite signing Gabriel in January, but it looks like he’s after a squad player rather than someone who’ll command a regular first team place.
Austria boss Marcel Koller has already confirmed that the player is heading for the Premier League this summer but didn’t reveal which club he’s off to.
“He moves in the summer to England.
“With his young age he still has potential to improve. He has it all. He is very calm – not rushed.”
Should we end up signing Wimmer then I suspect he’ll be a replacement for Per Mertesacker, with the 30-year-old tipped to head back to Germany this summer.
Wimmer is still young and inexperienced so there’s little chance he’d be able to oust either Gabriel or Koscielny from the starting eleven next season, so he and Calum Chambers would be our 3rd and 4th choice centre-backs.