- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Wenger Eyeing Double Swoop, Four Players Could Leave – Reports
There’s been plenty of Arsenal transfer news doing the rounds in the newspapers today with Arsene Wenger supposedly ready to sell up to four players in order to bring two new faces to the club this summer.
According to the Metro, the boss could cash-in on Per Mertesacker at the end of the season and is eyeing a move for Lyon centre-back Samuel Umtiti as a potential replacement.
Per has certainly been out of sorts lately and I really don’t see him keeping his first team place next season, so maybe it’s time to say goodbye to the lovable German and look to the future.
Umtiti would be an interesting option as he’s been in superb form for Lyon this season. He’s been a rock at the back and a main reason they’ve been able to mount a serious title challenge.
At 21, the Frenchman has plenty of years ahead of him and he and Chambers could offer real depth behind Koscielny and Gabriel next season if we were able to sign him this summer.
It’s not just defence that Arsene is apparently looking to strengthen as the Express are reporting that Matheiu Flamini, Mikel Arteta and Abou Diaby could leave this summer to make room for Morgan Schneiderlin.
Diaby’s contract is up at the end of the season and after yet another injury plagued campaign, it’s understood we’ll finally cut our loses and release him. It will be a real shame but unfortunately he’ll always be one of those unlucky players who weren’t given the chance to fulfill their potential.
Flamini still has one year left on his deal but the newspaper suggests that we’ll look to sell the ageing Frenchman after he lost his place to Francis Coquelin.
Arteta could still have a place in the squad if he’s willing to accept a bit-part role, but with Real Sociedad understood to be willing to offer him a return to Spain, he could also be heading for the exit door.
The Express claim that with at least two midfielders off the books, Wenger will then try and finally land long-term target Schneiderlin and is willing to pay in excess of £20m to get his man.
I think it would be wise to keep hold of Arteta as we could do with his experience in the squad, but if we could sell Flamini and bring in Schneiderlin then I think we might finally have a squad capable of challenging for the title.