- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
“I Spoke With Wenger In His Office & Said Yes To Joining Arsenal”
French striker M’Baye Niang has revealed that he held lengthy talks with Arsene Wenger and agreed to join Arsenal back in 2012 before he moved to AC Milan.
Niang was hot property back then after making the breakthrough at Caen in Ligue 1 and Arsenal were one of a number of clubs understood to be interested.
The 19-year-old has now confirmed that he spoke with Arsene in his office ‘for hours’ and agreed to make the move to the Emirates.
However, we failed to agree terms with Caen and the lanky striker ended up joining AC Milan after they made a late move for his signature.
Niang told reporters:
“I spoke with Arsene Wenger in his office. We spoke for hours. He wanted me, asked if I was ready to come and I said ‘Yes’. Then after that, it’s between the two clubs.
“They didn’t come to an understanding and told me that [Milan chief] Adriano Galliani had reached an understanding with Caen.”
‘Then I spoke with manager Massimiliano Allegri and when I felt he wanted me, things happened very quickly.’
Things didn’t work out for him at the San Siro as he scored just one goal in 35 appearances before joining Montpellier on loan in the summer, where he’s bagged 5 goals in 22 games back in Ligue 1 so far.
I remember some fans were disappointed when we missed out on Niang in 2012 but it looks like we may have dodged a bullet as with just 11 goals in 87 career appearances, he’s hardly setting the world alight, but he is still young so has plenty of time to fulfill his potential.