- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Send Scouts To Watch £37m Ace Ahead Of January Move
Reports today are claiming that Arsenal are set to renew their interest in Schalke attacker Julian Draxler when the transfer window re-opens in January.
As most of you will recall, we’ve been strongly linked with Draxler in recent transfer windows. There was intense speculation last January when we were understood to have come close to doing a deal until Arsene Wenger refused to sanction the £37m purchase at the last minute.
Rumours continued during the summer and now the Daily Star are reporting that we will renew our interest once again this winter after the boss sent scouts to watch the 21-year-old in action in the Champions League against Maribor last week.
The German international recently admitted he had held talks with Arsenal and was keen on the move, but Schalke chief Horst Heldt insist they won’t sell mid-season unless somebody pays his release fee.
Draxler’s buy-out clause remains at £37m, so we’re going to have to spend big-money to land him, and I personally don’t see Wenger being willing to splash out that kind of money on another attacking player when he has other areas of the squad to fill.
We desperately need a defensive midfielder and another centre-back, so although he’s a superb talent, it would be madness to think spending £37m on Draxler would solve our current problems.
He may be one for next summer, but I hope the boss focuses his attention on addressing our glaring issues in midfield and at the back in January rather than spend money on Draxler.