- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Planning January Swoop For €15m Duo – Reports
It looks like Arsenal are already making plans for the January window with reports claiming that we’re lining-up a double swoop for €15m duo Fabian Schar and Adrien Rabiot.
Fans were left fuming that Arsene Wenger didn’t bring in another centre-back and/or a defensive midfielder this summer, but the Daily Star claim that the boss is already working on deals to address these areas in January with Schar and Rabiot his key targets.
Schar has been hugely impressive with FC Basel in recent seasons but the 22-year-old is now in the final year of his contract and has so far refused to sign a new deal, leaving his future up in the air.
Several clubs have been linked but it’s understood that Arsenal are keen to bring him to the Emirates and are trying to negotiate a fee lower than the €12.5m Basel are demanding to sell him in January.
It remains to be seen what kind of price the Swiss club will be prepared to accept but Schar would be a useful squad player to offer back-up to the likes of Koscielny and Mertesacker, so I hope we can bring him in this winter.
Mikel Arteta has been identified as a weak link in the team already this season and it’s clear we need to upgrade if we’re to sustain a serious title challenge, and the Star suggest that Arsene want’s long-term target Rabiot to fill his shoes.
The 19-year-old is also in his final year and has rejected all attempts by PSG to tie him to a new deal, so he too could be available on the cheap with the newspaper claiming we could land him for just €2.5m.
Roma are also on his case and came close to signing him on deadline day, so we’ll have to fend off stiff competition from the Italians again in January, but Rabiot would certainly be an improvement on Arteta if we can land him.
However, my personal choice would still be William Carvalho to solve our defensive midfield problem but if he turns out to be too expensive, then Rabiot would be a decent alternative.