- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Wenger ‘To Table Big Money Bid’ For 24-Goal Striker – Report
Reports in the Telegraph today claim that Arsenal will make a £30m bid for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema after the Champions League final.
Benzema has just one year remaining on his current deal at the Bernabeu and it’s suggested that Real are ready to cash in on the 26-year-old this summer as they fear losing him for nothing in just 12 months time.
The France striker has enjoyed a mixed season in La Liga. On one hand he’s scored 24 goals and provided 14 assists in his 50 appearances so far, which is a very good return by anyone’s standard.
However, he’s also been on the wrong end of jeers from sections of his own support at times and the Spanish media have also targetted him for rough treatment following some inconsistent performances in the big games this season.
The Telegraph claim that Madrid bosses are wanting to upgrade the striker this summer, with Luis Suarez their prime target, and Arsene has had word that Benzema could be available and is ready to make another attempt to land his long-running target.
We were strongly linked with the former Lyon man last summer but Carlo Ancelotti put a stop to any potential sale after Gonzalo Higuain joined Napoli, but the newspaper suggests that we’ll try again and will test their resolve with a £30m bid after the Champions League final.
I’ve be delighted if we could bring Benzema to the Emirates this summer as he’d be the ideal man to lead our front-line next season. Whether we’ll have any luck landing him remains to be seen but I hope these reports have some foundation as it will show that at least Arsene is trying to be pro-active and is keen on not only targeting world class players, but is also making effort to tie up deals early in the summer.