- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal Eyeing €36m-Rated La Liga Star – But Do We Even Need Him?
Arsenal are reportedly keeping tabs on highly-rated Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno, according to recent reports.
The 21-year-old has burst onto the scene this season with some superb displays in La Liga and has understandably attracted interest from some of Europe’s top clubs.
Reports claim that Arsenal have sent scouts to watch the adventurous full-back in action in recent months, but we’ll face competition from a whole host of clubs including Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and of course Real Madrid.
Sevilla are under no pressure to sell as Moreno still has over three years left on his current deal and the newspaper suggests they have slapped a €36m (£30m) price-tag on his head and won’t sell for a penny less.
If this asking price is accurate, I think that will pretty-much put an end to any interest we may have. The club are highly-unlikely to spend that kind of money on a defender, not least a left-back when you consider we already have two very good options in that position.
However, if we are on the look-out for another left-back, it calls into question the future of either Kieran Gibbs or Nacho Monreal. Of the two, I’d suggest, and hope, it’s Monreal who’s position is under threat.
The Spaniard is usually a solid option but is certainly behind Gibbs in the pecking order and has been known to throw in a horrible performance or two (eg. Everton on Sunday).
Nacho is currently losing his head-to-head battle with Moreno to be Spain’s second-choice left-back behind Barca’s Jordi Alba for this summer’s World Cup, but a couple of niggling injuries haven’t helped his form over the past few months.
I’m not convinced we will end up signing another left-back, unless Monreal is unsettled and wants to head back to Spain. Even if that turns out to be the case, I don’t see us splashing out the kind of money it will take to land Moreno, so I’m not getting my hopes up on this one.
Do you think we need another left-back?