- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Transfer News: Arsenal Linked With Highly-Rated Defensive Duo
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been linked with moves for Southampton’s Calum Chambers and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Sebastian Jung in today’s Telegraph.
The boss is continuing to draw up a lengthy list of potential replacements for Bacary Sagna, with the Frenchman looking increasingly likely to leave at the end of the season.
Sagna’s contract expires in June and we’ve so far refused to meet his demands of a three-year deal, so unless a compromise can be found or the player accepts a two-year extension, it looks like we’ll be bringing in another right-back this summer and the latest two names to be linked are Southampton’s Calum Chambers and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Sebastian Jung.
Chambers has emerged as one of the most highly-rated young defenders in England after breaking into the Saints first team earlier this season. The 19-year-old has already represented England at under 17 and under 19 level and is tipped to go on and become a senior international. Chambers still has over three years to run on his current contract and the newspaper claims Southampton will demand around £10m for his services.
Personally I think he’s a little too inexperienced to replace Sagna and it would also spell bad news for Carl Jenkinson if we brought in another youngster. Jenks isn’t ready himself to be first choice, so we need to bring in an established name he can learn from, and unfortunately I don’t see the point in splashing out £10m on more potential.
Jung is slightly older at 23, and he’s been one of Frankfurts best players in what’s been a disappointing campaign. The Telegraph suggest the German international is expected to leave at the end of the season and Wenger has had his scouts keep a close eye on him ahead of a potential swoop this summer.
The boss has certainly been keen on signing German players in recent transfer windows, and with good reason, so Jung could be an interesting option. Being just 23, you’d think he wouldn’t have enough experienced to fill the void that will be left should Bac leave, but Jung has already made almost 150 appearances for the Frankfurt first team and has recently broken into the German senior squad.
Personally, I still hope we can come to an agreement with Sagna but if he does go, my preferred option would be Borussia Dortmund’s Lukasz Piszczek. However, if we can’t persuade him to leave the Bundesliga then Jung could be a decent bet.