- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
£20m Ace Claims He’s Had ‘Phonecalls About Interest From Arsenal’
Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio has claimed he’s had agents call him to express interest from clubs like Arsenal.
The 28-year-old has been excellent for Juve in recent seasons with his all action displays helping them win back-to-back Serie A titles in 2011 and 2012, while the Old Lady are well on course to making it a hat-trick of titles this year as they currently hold a commanding 14 point lead over second-placed Roma with just 11 games to go.
Marchisio was strongly linked with a move to the Premier League in January and he’s now revealed that agents have been calling him to express interest from Arsenal, as well as Liverpool and Manchester United.
However, the midfielder insists he’s yet to hear anything from the clubs directly and even if he does, he’ll point them in the direction of Juventus. He said:
‘Sometimes I have received phonecalls from agents who told me of the interest of clubs such as Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool,’
‘But no one from these clubs has ever contacted us directly.
‘And in [that] case I would tell them to talk to Juve.’ Marchisio is quoted as saying in the Metro.
Marchisio has over two years left to run on his contract so Juve are under no pressure to sell right now, but it’s believed they may be tempted if an offer in the region of £20m comes in.
He’s exactly the type of athletic ball-winner I think we need this summer and with nearly 200 appearances for Juventus and 41 senior caps for Italy, he’d bring with him vast experience if we were able to lure him to the Emirates.
Mikel Arteta is almost 32 and hasn’t got the pace to be an all-action defensive midfielder, so I feel a replacement is needed this summer and we could do a lot worse than to look to Marchisio. Whether he’d be prepared to leave the Serie A champions is another question, but it can’t hurt to find out!
Do you think Marchisio would be a good signing?