- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
€35m-Rated Man Utd Target Is ‘A Huge Arsenal Fan’
Arsenal could have the edge over rivals Manchester United in the race to sign €35m (£29m) rated Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho, as he’s believed to be a huge Arsenal fan.
The 21-year-old has attracted interest from the Premier League after some impressive display’s at the heart of Sporting’s midfield this season.
Arsenal were linked with a move for the powerful midfielder – dubbed as the ‘new Vieira’ – back in January, but it’s Manchester United who have the most serious interest with David Moyes understood to have sent scouts to watch the player on at least 12 occasions this season.
Reports last week even suggested that United had opened formal talks with Sporting Lisbon over the players signature, although that’s been refuted in the Portuguese press today.
It remains to be seen whether Arsene Wenger will make any sort of move for Carvalho this summer, but it seems we’d have a good chance of signing him ahead of United if we do as Marcus Christenson – who works for the Guardian newspaper – claims that the youngster is a ‘huge’ Arsenal fans who grew up with Thierry Henry as his hero.
— Marcus Christenson (@m_christenson) March 11, 2014
I personally think we should be looking to bring in an athletic ball-winner this summer as a long-term replacement for Mikel Arteta. The Spaniard simply doesn’t have the legs to play the defensive midfield role anymore and is found wanting in the big games, so I’d like to see a younger option come in.
Carvalho has certain impressed this year and has the physical attributes we need to add to our midfield. However, while it’s a bonus that he’s supposedly an Arsenal fan, the fee Sporting are demanding is likely to be a major stumbling block.
The Portuguese club are understood to want around €35m (£29m) for the player and it’s highly unlikely Wenger would pay that, particularly for a defensive midfielder, so we may have to look elsewhere.