- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal Boost As Frustrated Morata ‘Asks To Leave Real Madrid’
Arsenal have been handed a boost in their long-running pursuit of Alvaro Morata with reports in Spain claiming that the striker has asked to leave Real Madrid this month.
The 21-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent weeks with Arsene Wenger understood to be keen on bringing in the talented young forward on loan to act as cover from Olivier Giroud during the second half of the season.
Real boss Carlo Ancelotti has been insistent that Morata would not leave this month, although he hinted this may change if the player specifically asked to go:
“We have not changed our plan,” Ancelotti said. “Furthermore, Morata has not asked to leave. I am very happy with him.” [source: ESPN]
Morata then fuelled speculation he could be on the move after admitting he would be forced to leave the Bernabeu if he feels undervalued.
“Real has been my team since I was little and will be all my life, but I think the important thing is to have a relevant role in the team,” Morata said.
“If I ever feel that’s not the case, I would look at other options.
“In football, it’s very difficult to stay at the top and even more so in a team like Real.” [source: Express]
With the striker starting just two games this season, it appears he is certainly being under-used by Ancelotti but you can hardly blame the Italian considering he’s got the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale at his disposal.
It seems Morata may finally of had enough, with Spanish media outlet Cadena Ser reporting that he has made a formal request to leave the club this month, either on loan or on a permanent basis.
The report states that Morata is frustrated at his role in the team and doesn’t understand why he’s being used so sparingly, so would like to move elsewhere in search of first team football ahead of the World Cup.
Madrid have so far refused to grant him his wish, but that could easily change during the closing stages of the transfer window.
However, we’re going to face stiff competition for his services with Cadena Ser claiming that Tottenham, Inter Milan, Juventus, Fiorentina, Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Sevilla and Villarreal are all keen on signing him.
I have a feeling Morata is going to go out on loan, probably around deadline day, but it remains to be seen whether we’ll win the race for his signature. I hope so as he’s be an excellent addition up front and provide us with another option to Giroud. But lets see what happens.