- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Step Up Morata Interest But Wenger’s ‘Preference’ Is Costa/Mandzukic
Arsenal have stepped up their interest in signing Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata but Arsene Wenger’s preference would be to sign one of his top transfer targets on a permanent basis, according to reports today.
With Theo Walcott out for the rest of the season and Nicklas Bendtner also sidelined for a month, we can expect Arsenal to be strongly linked with a whole host of strikers over the next few weeks.
Everyone is expecting the boss to bring in a new front man this month, the big question is who.
Well the Daily Mail are reporting that Wenger’s first choice would be to sign one of his top targets with Diego Costa, Mario Mandzukic and Edin Dzeko all in the frame.
However, the boss knows very-well that pulling off a deal mid-season for any of the three is extremely unlikely, and rather than sign a sub-standard striker on a permanent basis, Wenger’s plan is to try and bring in Morata on a six-month loan deal and then move for one of his top targets again in the summer.
The newspaper states that we’re already in contact with Real Madrid over the possibility of bringing the youngster to the Emirates for the rest of the season, but the Spaniard’s have so far insisted he isn’t available.
That stance could very-well change over the coming days and weeks, but Arsenal are also thought to be compiling a list of potential short-term solutions in case a deal for Morata – or any of our top targets – can not be reached.
It sounds as though we’re going to take our time and not panic buy, but I personally feel the sooner we can get a new forward in, the better.
Part of me thinks why don’t we just trigger Costa’s £32m release clause – which would enable us to talk with the player – and then make him an offer he can’t refuse. At least give it a go. He can only turn us down. If we could land him, we’d have pulled off a major coup which would be right up there with the signing of Mesut Ozil.
Then, if Costa does turn down the move, we can target other alternatives such as Morata.
What do you think? Who would you like Arsenal to try and buy this month?