- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Wenger Responds To Berbatov Reports
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has responded to reports linking the club with a move for striker Dimitar Berbatov by insisting the Bulgarian is NOT a player he is considering at present.
Wenger is believed to be hoping to sign another front man this month to aid our title challenge following injuries to Nicklas Bendtner and Olivier Giroud.
Giroud’s ankle problem is only minor but with Bendtner set to be sidelined for around a month, we look short of options up top so another striker is thought to be on the agenda.
Berbatov has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent days but speaking at his pre-match press conference this morning, Wenger has insisted the former Tottenham and Manchester United striker is not on his radar.
Wenger on Berbatov: "He is not a name we have considered at the moment. We have not contacted anybody."
— James Olley (@JamesOlley) January 3, 2014
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) January 3, 2014
Of course we’ve heard the boss say similar things in the past when being linked with someone, only to sign the player shortly after. He famously said he’d never heard of Santi Cazorla just a week before buying him, so I wouldn’t read too much into his comments.
However, I don’t for one minute think Berbatov is our No.1 target. It’s clear with the signing of Ozil that we’re aiming higher in the transfer market these days so I wouldn’t be surprised if Wenger will explore more ‘marquee’ options before potentially making a move for Berbatov later in the window if he can’t sign one of his top targets.
What striker would you like us to sign? Berbatov?