- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
Transfer News: Wenger Wants £68m-Rated German Duo
With Gooners still in shock at our stunning £42.5m signing of Mesut Ozil, the Express are getting us all excited again by claiming that Arsene Wenger is lining up an audacious move for £68m rated duo Marco Reus and Julian Draxler.
We were strongly linked with Draxler in the summer and the newspaper suggests Wenger remains keen on bringing the highly-rated Schalke attacker to the Emirates. However, we will face stiff competition from Juventus with the Italian champions seemingly prepared to meet the Bundesliga outfit’s £34m asking price.
The 20-year-old revealed he turned down several offers to leave Schalke in the summer as he was worried about how a switch might affect his chances of securing a place in the Germany squad for next summers World Cup.
Draxler recently signed a new long-term contract and while he may be prepared to consider a move once the World Cup is out the way, I still have a feeling he’ll remain with Schalke for at least another couple of seasons.
Another excited young German that’s supposedly on Wenger’s radar is Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus and the Express claim we’re lining up a January move for the 24-year-old.
Reus is a superb talent and I’d love to see him come to Arsenal. The newspaper reports that Arsene is prepared to test Dortmund’s resolve with a £30m bid in the winter window but Jurgen Klopp’s side may hold out for the full £34m required to trigger the players release clause.
If so, the Express suggest Wenger may hold out until the summer, particularly given the fact the attacker would be ineligible to play in the Champions League during the second half of the season.
Before the signing of Ozil, I would have laughed off this type of transfer news as nonsense. But after we signed arguably the best playmaker on the planet this summer, surely anything is possible?!
Rues and Draxler are certainly the quality of players we should now be looking at but I think it’s highly unlikely we’ll sign both, despite what the Express claim. Their combined value is £68m, so I think Wenger will go for one of them.
Of the two, Rues would be my preferred option but I just can’t see him leave Dortmund any time soon. He only moved there just over 14 months ago and has been a huge hit, scoring 24 goals in 55 games, so it would be difficult to prize him away from the Champions League finalists in my opinion. But you just never know.
Which player would like you Arsenal to sign? Draxler or Rues?