- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
“It’s True I Had An Offer From Arsenal”
Some interesting transfer gossip for you to digest as we wait for tonight’s Champions League opener against Marseille.
Atletico Madrid defender Juan Francisco Torres – more commonly known as Juanfran – has revealed that he turned down the chance to join Arsenal in the summer.
We were strongly linked with the Spanish international at the start of August and it seems the newspapers got this one right as the 28-year-old has confirmed he rejected what sounds like a lucrative contract offer from us in order to remain in La Liga with Madrid.
He told the Mirror:
“It is true that I had an offer from Arsenal that any player would have liked to have accepted,”
“But I am very happy here.
“For me, as everyone knows, there is no better club than Atletico.”
Juanfran is a right-back who’s been hugely impressive at the Vicente Calderon since making the move from Osauna two years ago and he was named in the Spain squad for the 2012 European Championships.
Many fans expected Arsene Wenger to bring in a new centre-back this summer and that may have initially been the plan, but with Bacary Sagna proving to be more than capable of filling in at centre-half, it seems Wenger switched his focus to bringing in another right-back and Juanfran was obviously one player he was interested in.
However, no new right-back was brought in and my feeling is that Wenger decided against bringing in another defender after signing Mathieu Flamini as the Frenchman is capable of filling in at both full-back positions if needed.
Carl Jenkinson is progressing well so right-back is not an area that desperately needs addressing, but it may become an issue if we get a spate of injuries. Currently we only have 7 first team defenders – Jenskinon, Sagna, Vermaelen, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs and Monreal.
All are top quality but we have very little back-up in reserve should we get hit by a similar injury crisis like we currently have in midfield/attack, so it would have been useful to bring in another body.
Do you think we should have signed another defender in the summer?