- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Report: Arsenal Have Made ‘Several Enquiries’ For Juventus Star
Some more transfer gossip to bring you today with newspaper reports claiming Arsenal made ‘several enquiries’ for Juventus defender Martin Caceres this summer and we will renew our interest next year.
The 26-year-old centre-back joined Juve on a permanent deal from Sevilla in January 2012 after an initial loan spell and following a promising start to life in Turin, he’s been sidelined for several weeks after picking up a serious knee injury while away on international duty two weeks ago.
The Daily Star claim Arsene Wenger made several enquiries over the players availability in the summer but Juventus manager Antonio Conte was reluctant to let him go. The newspaper suggests Wenger will monitor the players form when he returns to fitness and will make another move next summer if he makes a successful comeback.
However, we may face stiff competition from big-spending Napoli. The Italians are also believed to be interested with Rafa Benitez understood to be keen on taking the Uruguayan international to the San Paolo Stadium.
A centre-back was reportedly on the agenda for much of the summer but it seems Wenger decided against bringing in a new player due to the progression of Bacary Sagna in the middle of defence.
The Frenchman has been excellent in his new role and with Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker and the fit-again Thomas Vermaelen also on the books, I no longer feel a new centre-back should be seen as a priority.
But you never know, Wenger may still feel we need another body in there and the Star certainly seem to think we’ll be in for Caceres again if he can prove his fitness. Personally, I’d prefer we went for a slightly younger player who can provide back-up to our first choice and learn from them before eventually taking over in a few years time.
Do you think Arsenal need to sign a new centre-back?