- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Report: Spurs To Target Luis Suarez When Gareth Bale Moves To Real Madrid
With Arsenal fans waiting in hope rather than expectation to hear of any developments on our pursuit of Luis Suarez, the Daily Mail are reporting that we might have surprise competition for his signature from our north London rivals, Tottenham.
We’ve hit something of a stalemate with Liverpool over Suarez. We bid the unusual amount of £40,000,001 last week after being led to believe that would trigger an automatic release clause in the players contract. It turns out Suarez’s advisers got it wrong, so we’re now weighing-up our next move.
The Anfield club are said to be demanding upward of £50m for the striker – a figure Arsenal appear unlikely to match – but it seems we might have some competition for his signature from an unlikely source.
The Mail claim that once Monkey-Boy seals his dream switch to Real Madrid for a ridiculously unjustified world record fee, then Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will show the clubs ambition in the transfer market by making a move for Suarez! You just can’t make it up. Well, the Mail have probably done just that.
Suarez to Tottenham is one of the most unlikely transfer rumours of the summer. The whole reason he wants out of Anfield is to play in the Champions League and he’ll have more chance of qualifying with Liverpool next season than he would with a Bale-less Tottenham side.
I’ve no doubt Levy and Spurs would want Suarez. He’s a world class striker. But you can bet your mortgage that the Uruguayan would never agree to a move to White Hart Lane this summer.
Will he end up at the Emirates though? It’s still difficult to say. If he wants Champions League football enough, he’ll probably get his way but Liverpool are going to make it extremely difficult for us. We are their biggest competition for a top-four place so it makes no sense them selling to us. I don’t see Wenger paying the £50m+ it will take to persuade them, so unless Suarez submits a formal transfer request, I feel a deal is unlikely. But let’s wait and see how things progress….
What do you make of the Spurs-Suarez report? Do you think Arsenal will end up buying the striker?