- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal Up Suarez Offer To £35m And Remain ‘Confident’ Of Signing Higuain
According to widespread reports today, Arsenal have increased their offer for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez to £35million.
We had an initial £30m offer rejected by the Merseysiders last week but it seems Arsene Wenger is determined to test their resolve and the Guardian are one of several newspapers who are claiming today that a new and improved £35m bid has been tabled.
While Liverpool are desperate to hang on to their star man, the club will hold out for a figure of at least £40m if they are forced into a sale and the really bad news for Arsenal is that the Guardian claim Manchester City have also joined the chase. If the Eastlanders make a real push for the Uruguayan, I can’t see us being able to compete and he’ll most likely end up in Manchester but there’s talk of them signing Jovetic and Negredo so hopefully they complete those deals and will no longer be in the market for another striker.
The newspaper also suggests that we’ve agreed personal terms with Gonzalo Higuain and are ‘confident’ of being able to strike a deal with Real Madrid, but Wenger has delayed completing the move after learning that Suarez could be open to a move to the Emirates.
The 26-year-old initially hinted that he wanted a move abroad after claiming he was feeling victimised by the FA and British media. However, in recent days he’s confirmed he wants out of Anfield in search of Champions League football but has refused to rule out moving to another Premier League team, giving Arsene Wenger confidence he can pull off a major coup.
There are some Gooners who claim they wouldn’t want to see Suarez in an Arsenal shirt after all his misdemeanors and while they have a valid case, you can’t deny his ability and how much he would improve the team. My view is that I’d rather sign Higuain for around £25m than Suarez for around £40m, so it very-much depends on the deals we can agree.
Wenger said on Friday he wants his transfer business done before the start of the new season but the fact Suarez will be banned for the first six games no matter who he’s playing for makes me think our hunt for a striker could be going down to deadline day.
Check out more Arsenal Transfer News
Would you like to see Arsenal sign Suarez? Or would you prefer we signed Higuain?