- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
Arsenal legend makes surprise prediction for Man City game
Arsenal legend Paul Merson has predicted that Arsenal will beat Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
We head to the Etihad this weekend needing a win to ensure at least third place in the Premier League table which would guarantee us automatic qualification to the Champions League next season.
Our form in recent weeks has been lackluster to say the least as we’ve crawled to wins over West Brom and Norwich at home while we were held to a 0-0 draw at Sunderland two weeks ago.
It’s not exactly the kind of form that would give you confidence we’re going to go to the Etihad and beat Champions League semi-final’s Manchester City, but that’s exactly that former winger Merson believes.
He feels that City will be nursing a hangover following their Real Madrid defeat and claims Manuel Pellegrini’s side are ‘there for the taking’ and we’d have to ask ‘serious questions’ if Arsenal fail to collect all three points.
Merson wrote in his Sky Sports column:
I think Arsenal win this game. Man City will have a hangover, although I’ve never seen anything like that game at the Bernabeu. I had to watch the game and remind myself it was a Champions League semi-final. After 15 minutes, Sergio Aguero is getting the ball off the centre-half. I’ve never seen anything like it.
If there’s ever a chance for Arsenal to win at the Etihad again, this is the game. If they don’t win this game, you’d have to ask serious questions. Man City are there for the taking, all day long.
PAUL PREDICTS 1-2
I agree that City may be a little below par after the Madrid loss but Merse is talking like we’re playing Aston Villa away this weekend! City are still a very strong side who are battling to be in the top four so I fully expect a tough game on Sunday.
I certainly won’t be asking ‘serious questions’ if we don’t win. In fact, I’d take a draw now because that would all-but guarantee we’ll finish third as we should easily beat Villa on the last day of the season.
However, if like Merson you feel Arsenal will win then you can back us at enhanced odds of 10/1 here.