- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
Arsenal ‘stunned’ by attackers £160,000-a-week contract demands
According to the Daily Star, Arsenal have been left ‘stunned’ by Alexis Sanchez’s contract demands with the attacker asking for a new deal worth £160,000-a-week.
Talks over a contract extension are set to accelerate over the coming months with Arsenal chiefs keen to tie Sanchez down to a new three-year deal that would keep him at the club until 2019.
However, the Star report suggests that the club have been ‘stunned’ by his demands as Alexis supposedly wants his wages increased to £160,000-a-week – which would make him the clubs highest earner.
The newspaper also states that the Chilean super-star wants assurances that we’ll continue to build a squad capable of challenging for top honours both domestically and in Europe before he commits his future to the club.
The report states that Alexis is happy in North London playing under Arsene Wenger, but just wants to ensure he makes the right decision over his future as the 27-year-old is now in the peak years of his career.
I’m not too sure how the Daily Star know so much about what Sanchez does or doesn’t want but assuming their information is accurate, why would Arsenal be ‘stunned’ by these so-called demands?
£160k-a-week is more than reasonable for a player of Sanchez’s quality in today’s market and he’d certainly be able to get more if he went to the likes of Manchester United or Manchester City, so there is no reason for Arsenal to be surprised.
Also, why wouldn’t Alexis want assurances that we’re going to keep pushing forward and improving the squad? Isn’t that what every fan demands during every transfer window? Why should the players be any different?
Sanchez is world class and deserves to be winning top trophies, so it’s only right he wants to know the clubs ambitions before he commits his future to us.
The Chilean international has been an excellent signing since joining from Barcelona in 2014 so hopefully we can tie him down to fresh terms quickly, but we shouldn’t be surprised by his supposed demands. Far from it….