- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
Wenger confirms this duo will start against Sheffield Wednesday
Arsene Wenger has confirmed Joel Campbell and Calum Chambers will start against Sheffield Wednesday tonight and backed the pair to take their chance to shine.
We head to Hillsborough in the fourth round of the Capital One Cup this evening and as predicted the manager is set to give a number of his first team regulars a breather.
That will open the door to some of our fringe players to have a taste of first team action and Arsene has now suggested that Campbell and Chambers are set for a run-out.
Wenger backed the duo to take their chance and to show they have the quality to play for Arsenal FC.
The boss is quoted as saying by ESPN:
“We want the players who come in to the team to show they are able to make the squad successful, and do absolutely everything to help us win,”
“That’s the job of a footballer. When you get the chance, you have to be ready.”
“I like Joel Campbell very much for two reasons. One is that he has outstanding individual quality, but he is also a team player. He works very hard for the team.
“I’m convinced he will get a chance here and that he will take it. He has another opportunity against Sheffield Wednesday and I’m hopeful that he will show that he has the quality to play for Arsenal.
“When you get the chance, you have to be ready. To be ready, you have to prepare. I must say that Joel Campbell and Calum Chambers are two players who do absolutely everything right.
“They are prepared, the preparation they have created will give them the confidence against Sheffield Wednesday and I’m confident they will play well.”
Chambers is expected to start in the middle of defence alongside Per Mertesacker as the German giant is available again after recovering from illness.
Campbell should start in attack with the likes of Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez rested but we head into the game without the injured Mikel Arteta, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Danny Welbeck and Tomas Rosicky.
With David Ospina still nursing a shoulder injury, Wenger also revealed yesterday that Petr Cech will start in goal.