- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Arsenal Keen On Signing Ligue 1 Midfielder – Reports
Arsenal are eyeing a surprise move for Portuguese international Joao Mourinho after Monaco decided to cash-in on the midfielder this summer, according to the Metro.
We’ve been linked with Moutinho in the past and were reportedly keen when the 28-year-old left Porto in 2013 only to see him join Monaco in an £18m deal instead.
The Portuguese star has continued to impress in Ligue 1 but the Metro claim that Monaco have decided to sell the midfielder in order to get his £110,000-a-week wages off the books and suggest that Arsenal are interested.
The newspaper cite’s the Express as their original source but all I can find in that paper is a small paragraph saying that Arsene Wenger ‘could’ make a move for the player, so it seems the Metro has exaggerated the story somewhat.
I’d personally be shocked if we were looking to buy Moutinho as I just don’t see him as the type of player we need this summer, but perhaps Arsene is looking at him as a potential replacement for Mikel Arteta as a deep lying playmaker.
However, I kind of hoped the boss had learned his lesson and was going to bring in a ‘proper’ defensive midfielder this summer to compete with Francis Coquelin. If Arsene wants a ball-player in midfield, we’ve already got Santi Cazorla and Jack Wilshere, so no point splashing out on Moutinho.
Even if we are interested, the papers say that the likes of Porto and Zenit St Petersburg are also keen so we’ll face some competition.
But I think the papers are just creating idle speculation with these reports, so don’t expect anything to come of these links with Moutinho….