- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Wenger ‘Confident’ Of Sealing Late £13.5m Swoop For Spaniard
According to reports, Arsene Wenger is confident he’ll be able to fend off interest from Real Madrid to seal a £13.5m deal for Valencia defender Jose Luis Gaya before tonight’s deadline.
We’ve been strongly linked with Gaya throughout the course of the winter transfer window but it looks as though the boss could be set to make a surprise late move for the 19-year-old .
The Daily Star claim that we’re planning to submit a £13.5m offer over the coming hours which would trigger a release clause in the Spanish under-21 international’s contract.
Real Madrid are also keen on the left-back but the newspaper says Wenger is ‘confident’ he’ll be able to see-off interest from the European champions and secure a deal before 11pm tonight.
Gaya has enjoyed a breakthrough season at Valencia, making 19 La Liga appearances so far, and has earned a reputation as one of the brightest young defenders in Spain.
However, I’d be hugely surprised if anything came of this. The boss has said he’ll only do any late business if somebody knocks on his door with a ‘top, top quality’ player and I just don’t see us spending £13.5m on another left-back.
We already have Kieran Gibbs, while Nacho Monreal has been in superb form of late, so I see no immediate need for us to rush out and bring in another left sided defender.
Arsene may revisit his options in the summer, in which case Gaya could very well be a main target, but I’d be shocked if we see him make a late move tonight, despite what the Daily Star are reporting.