- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal ‘Likely’ To Pull Off Major Swoop On Rival Club – Report
Some interesting transfer news to bring you this afternoon with reports claiming that Arsenal are ‘likely’ to sign Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech at the end of the season.
Arsene Wenger is believed to be contemplating bringing in a new number one in the summer after growing increasingly frustrated with Wojciech Szczesny’s inconsistent displays and poor behaviour.
Reports earlier this week claim the boss heavily fined Szczesny after catching him smoking in the showers after putting in a error-strewn performance during our 2-0 loss at Southampton, and there have been rumours he may not play again this season.
Those suggestions have died down in recent days but it does seem as though Szczesny’s future at the club is less than certain and now widespread reports state that we’re keen on signing Petr Cech in the summer.
Cech has fallen out-of-favour at Chelsea and will have just one year left on his contract in June, so is expected to be available for around £5m-£7m – which would be an absolute bargain for a player of his quality.
His agent has previously confirmed he’ll be on the move in the summer and would consider a switch to Arsenal, but it had been anticipated that Jose Mourinho wouldn’t sell to a direct rival.
However, reports today suggest that the Portuguese coach will let Cech decide his own future, even if it means selling to another Premier League club, and the Metro claim that Arsenal are now ‘likely’ to be Cech’s next destination.
It remains to be seen whether that turns out to be the case but I would be delighted if we could land Cech as he’s a world class keeper and at 32, he’s still got plenty of years left in him at the highest level.
Szczesny hasn’t progressed as many had hoped and he’s still got an immature/arrogant streak in him that seems to be holding him back. I think he’s got until the end of the season to persuade Arsene that he’s got what it takes to be Arsenal’s No.1. If he fails, then a move for Cech could very-much be on the cards….