- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Handed Major Boost As Target Confirms He Wants £10m Move
Arsenal have been handed a big boost as top target Fabian Schar has admitted he is keen to leave Basel for a top club.
Arsene Wenger has already confirmed he’ll look to bring in another defender this winter after failing to sign a replacement for Thomas Vermaelen in the summer.
Several names have been linked but Schar has emerged as a key target in recent weeks as he’s continued to impress for Basel both domestically and in Europe, and reports have suggested we might make a move for the 22-year-old in January.
Our hopes of pulling off a deal have now been boosted after Schar told reporters in his homeland that Basel are open to cashing in on his signature and he’s keen to test himself at a top club, with the English top flight among the league’s he’s interested in.
When asked about a move in January, Schar said:
“Basel are open to negotiations, but at this moment I have decided that I want to concentrate on my performances.
“I went through a difficult period and it wasn’t the right time to discuss my renewal. I don’t want to be worrying about that now.
“My dream remains to have an experience abroad. I’ve always said that if the opportunity presented itself, I would take it, obviously in agreement with Basel.
“I need a team with important prospects. I’d like the Bundesliga, Premier League or top Italian clubs like Inter, Milan and Juventus. I couldn’t say no.
“I want to hear all my options and consider them carefully. There was some contact in the summer, but nothing serious.” source: Express
Reports suggest that Basel value Schar at around £10m – which seems like a very reasonable price for a player of his age and potential.
Our lack of options at centre-back have already been exposed this season with Arsene forced to play Nacho Monreal as a make-shift central defender due to an injury to Laurent Koscielny, so there’s no doubt we need to bring someone in this winter and I think Schar would be a useful addition.
However, it remains to be seen whether Arsene will make his interest official by submitting a formal offer in January or turn his attention to one of his other targets.