- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Wenger: ‘I See Welbeck As A Central Striker’
Ever since Arsenal confirmed the signing of Danny Welbeck from Manchester United on deadline day, fans have been speculating, and often joking, that Arsene Wenger would probably play him on the wing.
We needed a striker, we bought a player who has all the attributes to be a top striker, but fans were still concerned that Arsene might decide to play him out of position as he has done with several players in the past.
So it was a relief to hear the boss speaking at his press conference today where he told Arsenal.com that he thinks Welbeck’s best position is through the middle.
Arsene did concede that the 23-year-old can also play on the flanks, but he made it clear he sees the England international as a striker and feels he will be able to make him a better player during his time at the Emirates.
“Danny Welbeck is an ideal signing for us because he can play through the middle, which I think is his best position, but as well on the flanks,” he said.
“His qualities are his team attitude and his pace as well. As you could see with England, his goalscoring too. When you analyse his game you think he has the qualities to play through the middle.
“He was at Man United, where he had many big stars, and he is a player who is very versatile so he had to make room sometimes for players to play through the middle. But if you analyse in an objective way his qualities, I think he has the perfect style to play through the middle.
“He can make himself a better player [here] because I can help him. He’s a young boy, he’s not 24 yet and let’s not forget that some players who arrived here at the age of 23 made huge careers here so I hope we can contribute and help him.”
I hope we see Welbeck start against City this weekend as his confidence will be high following his goalscoring exploits for England on Monday night and he’ll be eager to impress on his debut.
Time will tell whether Arsene will play him from the start but god help the boss if he opts for Sanogo instead….