- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Arsenal Official Heading To Brazil To Tie Up Defender Deal – Reports
Arsenal could be closing in on their first summer signing with reports claiming that we’re sending chief negotiator Dick Law over to Brazil to try and tie up a deal for Gremio defender Bressan.
I must admit I know little about this lad but after some research it seems he’s one of the most highly-rated young defenders in Brazil and enjoyed an excellent season last year after joining Gremio from Juventude in late 2012.
Being Brazilian, he has a fancy full name - Matheus Simonete Bressaneli – which has been shorted simply to Bressan – and the Metro claim that Arsenal scouts have identified him as a possible signing this summer.
The newspaper states that we’ve already held initial talks with Gremio and have now deployed Dick Law over to Brazil to finalise a deal for the 21-year-old centre-back.
There is no mention of what the potential transfer fee could be but I’m guessing it won’t be too much as Bressan isn’t an established player and he’s highly unlikely to have any impact on the first team any time soon even if we do sign him.
The major problem being, we’re going to struggle to get a work permit as he’s not been capped by the senior Brazilian national team yet, so it’s likely we’ll have to send him out on loan if a deal is agreed with Gremio.
I really don’t know what to make of this as if the Metro’s report is accurate, I’d be a little frustrated if I’m honest. Surely Dick Law should have more important signings to be negotiating than a young defender who’s not going to make a difference to the first team next year?
We have an extremely busy summer ahead with at least four major signings needed, so perhaps the club should concentrate on those first before buying another kid on the cheap?