- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
Arsenal To Make Audacious Move For Chelsea Ace?
Reports today claim that Chelsea are going to sell Petr Cech this summer. Could Arsenal take advantage of this situation and offer the goalkeeper a chance to remain in London?
It’s expected to be a busy summer at the Emirates with Arsene Wenger needing to strengthen several areas of the squad, and a new goalkeeper is on the agenda after Lukasz Fabianski left to join Swansea on a free transfer.
A number of names have been linked and reports have suggested we could even go after Cech should he become available, which nobody really considered would be a possibility as he’s been excellent for Chelsea over the last 10 years.
However, the Express claim today that Jose Mourinho has decided Thibaut Courtois will be his new No.1 next season and will sell Cech this summer. Obviously this report could be bollocks, but if it’s accurate, should we go all out for Cech?
The 32-year-old has been one of the best keepers in Europe over the past decade and was named in the PFA Team of the Year last season, so he’s still at the top of his game. Clearly he’d be an excellent addition to the squad but the potential transfer is fraught with problems.
Firstly, we’d have real trouble persuading Chelsea to sell to us. We all know Mourinho hates Arsenal and wouldn’t sell us a virus, so it’s unlikely he’d sell us a player of Cech’s quality to Arsene Wenger.
Secondly, if we did somehow manage to persuade Chelsea to sell Cech to us and we made his our new No.1, then obviously this is going to stifle the development of Wojciech Szczesny. The Pole enjoyed an excellent season last year and made great strides, so I’d be disappointed to see him relegated to the bench.
Cech isn’t going to come to us to be a No2, and ideally that’s what we need. We need a quality, reliable goalkeeper who is willing to play second fiddle to Szczesny but is good enough to keep him on his toes and do a job when required. Sadly, I don’t see Cech being this man.
While he may be slightly ahead of Szczesny right now, I don’t want Chezzer to leave and I could see that happening if we signed Cech. So I feel it’s best for us in the long run to pass up on the opportunity to go for the Chelsea man, if he does come on the market this summer.