- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Wenger ‘Set To Meet £25m Asking Price’ For Want-Away Hitman
According to reports today, Arsenal are ready to meet Chelsea’s £25m asking price for unsettled striker Romelu Lukaku.
Arsene Wenger has made a striker one of his main priorities this summer and while a number of names have been linked with a move to the Emirates in recent months, CaughtOffside claim Lukaku has now emerged as a key target.
The Belgian international recently confirmed he wants to leave Chelsea this summer after failing to establish himself at Stamford Bridge and it seems we are ready to offer him an escape route.
He told reporters yesterday:
“You know Chelsea: every year they buy a new top striker,”
“I remember me coming into the dressing room last year and seeing Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba and going: ‘Whoah! What’s happening here?’ But no problem. Many clubs are interested in me.” added Lukaku
“At this stage I have to look to myself. I have to play a good World Cup. That’s very interesting for all the players looking for a transfer, and I must be one of them. Chelsea know my point of view.”
The report claims that Arsene will make his move following Lukaku’s admission, and is ready to meet Chelsea’s £25m asking price for the 21-year-old in the coming days with the club understood to be ‘confident’ of luring the striker to North London.
Many feel Jose Mourinho would be reluctant to do business with us, but CaughtOffside suggest the Portuguese coach is open to selling to a rival and they point to the sale of Juan Mata to Manchester United as an example.
Lukaku would be an excellent signing but it remains to be seen how much truth there is in this report. CaughtOffside aren’t exactly the most reliable of sources so I’d personally take what they say with a pinch of salt.
However, I’d be delighted if they got this one right. Lukaku has proven he can cut it in the Premier League during his loan spells at West Brom and Everton and I think he’d be an upgrade on Olivier Giroud.